Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Cheat Exposed

By now you’ve probably read about the loser in the photo to the left. The photo shows Roberto Madrazo finishing the Berlin Marathon in 2:40:57; not too bad for a 55 year old Mexican politician. At least it was good enough for a first place finish for the 55 to 59 year old set. More impressive however was his time over the last 15K. He covered the distance in 21 minutes or about 1.5 minute 1Ks. Now that’s running.

When pressed to explain his world record speed by the Mexican press(Paul Tergat already had added him to his speed dial), Roberto explained that he didn’t cheat. He simply stopped running because of an injury and walked to the finish line to pick up his finisher’s medal. He didn’t explain why he thought he deserved a finisher’s medal when he DNF’d the event.

On a happier note, I banged out 9.7 miles tonight. Not to shabby following 8.6 miles last night. My pace was still down around 9:50, but I was moving along effortlessly in the 85F heat of the evening. Most of my aches and pains have subsided; however, I’m clearly not as strong as I need to be. I’m getting twinges in my ankles, abdomen, shins, calves, and hamstrings … but nothing serious. I just need to pay attention and not ramp up to fast.

I owe my buddy Sallie a big apology. I completely forgot to give her a shout out yesterday. Sallie completed the Army Ten Miler over this past weekend. I think this is her longest race to date.

Good luck to all this week.

14 comments:

Jamie said...

What a loser! That politician's excuse is about as lame as they come. Great job on the back-to-back higher mileage days. Glad to see it's starting to cool off down there in the desert.

Thomas said...

They even mentioned that idiot on the radio yesterday here in Ireland. The DJ had a great time taking the piss out of him.

david said...

Good runs... you are slowly getting back in form. Thanks for the shout out the other day.

Addy said...

congrats on the good back to back runs! Hopefully running will get even nicer as it gets cooler?

Sounds like you're listening to your body, which is super smart.You'll be back soon

Amy said...

I walked out this morning to low 60's temps...it put the biggest smile on my face because I knew my run this afternoon will just be fabulous with the cooler weather!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

He's a politician...enough said. It should surprise exactly nobody.

Nice job with the back-to-backs. Sounds like your running is coming back to you. It's so nice to be running without injury, huh?

Ewen said...

I always wonder why they bother.

Good double Phil - those runs in the 14 to 16k range will get you there. Just keep them ticking over mate - no hurry.

Laufenweg said...

wow, phil! thanks for mentioning little ol' me. that's really nice of you.

regarding the político mejicano -- qué escandaloso!! ja ja!

anyways...your blog continues to inspire me. thanks again for your detailed notes.

ReneeMc said...

That reminds me of how I won the last presidential election. I still don't understand why I'm not in office.

Dusty said...

Wow, I missed that... then again, I've missed pretty much everything for the past 2 weeks. That is insane - I don't even want to wear my shirt from the 5K I was too sick to run - I paid for it, but giving it to the folks (since it says Texas - my Mom will wear it to advertise for her kid - me).

What, does he think he is Rosie?? Yet another lame excuse for cheating.

Bex said...

Madrazo is an embarrassment to his country.

Nice running, by the way. Perhaps I can pace behind you at Carlsbad. :-)

Sarah Elaine said...

Hey, I just went to visit D's blog and was also puzzled by the posts. I saw you left a comment and thought I'd come and say hello.

Nicole said...

Thanks for sharing the story - I hadn't heard about it.
Nice job on the mileage.

DawnB said...

You're building back up Phil and you are doing it the right way. Nice job.