Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Singapore Airlines A380 Interior



Hi all ... I purposely avoid talking about what I do when I'm not running, traveling around the planet or pontificating on the great social issues of our day; however, when Airbus delivered the first A380 to Singapore Airlines yesterday it marked the end of a major segment of my career. Like tens of thousands of people around the world, I've been pouring blood, sweat and tears into this airplane for years and seeing it finally going into revenue service was tremendous.

The attached video is a quick tour of this aircraft. Although I had absolutely nothing to do with the aircraft's interior, I still think it's pretty neat and it's usually the only aspect of the aircraft that most people seem to relate to. The most remarkable part of the Singapore configuration are the First Class Suites. Each is an individual cabin that converts to a completely flat bed. There is even a twin cabin in the middle section of the aircraft in case you have to snuggle with your significant other on those long non-stops from Singapore to London.

I started another 7 year journey on the latest Airbus aircraft(the A350 XWB) last month, so if I don't get fired, I should have another video ready to go sometime around 2013.

Back to running posts tomorrow. Enjoy your week.

13 comments:

Bruce said...

Well done Phil, something to be proud of alright, the suites look good but I think I'll be travelling economy for a while yet.

Laurie said...

Cool! I am sure it feels great to be done with that monster project. Congrats!

Thomas said...

That must be some serious job satisfaction to see that baby in the air!

I have to take your word on the First Class cabins - I'll never know!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

way to go Phil!

i dated a guy last year who designed planes (the interiors, i think).

Laufenweg said...

awesome!! thanks for sharing the video. i've been so curious about the interior of these airbuses! i love the 1st class suites. oh well. i'm sure i'll never get to travel in one, but a girl can dream. :-)

Anne said...

How proud you must deservedly be right now! By the way, were your ears burning on Monday? Another blogger and I were talking about the Carlsbad Marathon and mentioned you.

Ewen said...

Nice work mate. Even economy looks good - my sort of legroom and a big screen DVD :)

If I win Lotto I'll book a cabin for my next trip to Nth America. I presume the 350 is smaller - have fun (if that's the right word) with it. I'll be back in 2013 to check on the legroom.

Gotta Run said...

My husband travels to China a few times a year and will only fly business first class . It only took one coach trip to make that decision. With about 30 hours of travel time it is worth the extra expense. One of these days I might travel with him... maybe run the Great Wall Marathon.

Cool video!

Grellan said...

How do I get me one of those suites.

Addy said...

Sometimes its really nice to just get a peak of the person outside the running persona. Congratulations on helping to create such an amazing craft :)

J~mom said...

Very cool, Phil! My DH's degree is in aerospace. When you guys meet you can talk about it. or not. LOL Thanks for sharing it with us.

DawnB said...

That is so neat!! Great job and congratulations in getting it done. Must be a great feeling to know you were apart of something so incredible!!

carmen said...

i've always been curious about what you do. i'm glad to finally have a peep at your non-running life. congrats on your hard work's reward!