Thursday, November 15, 2007

Running Free

Over and over again, I’ve counseled folks to dump the electronics and just run their recovery runs; tonight, I finally took my own advice. No Garmin, No HR Monitor, not even a sports watch; just me and my dog and 6 miles running through the moonless night on the dark paths along SR51 in north Phoenix. 3 miles out; 3 miles back. How long did it take? What was the average pace? What was my average HR? Who knows? Who cares? It felt great. I think I’ll make it a regular habit.

Last night I ran a 4 mile hill run. With the Carlsbad Marathon looming only 9 weeks from now I’ve got to get in some serious hill work. When I ran this marathon last year, I was totally unprepared for the hills and tore up my quads but good. My small neighborhood is nothing but hills, but for some reason, I’ve never thought of using it for a hill workout. It’s always just seemed to be way too steep. In actuality, it wasn’t so much as the hills are steep and keep coming, but instead, I was just too scared of running slow. With the fear of running slow behind me (just look at my average pace in the past 6 months), I headed out for two 2 mile loops in the hills. I struggled through the first loop at 10/mi, but finally got into the groove on mile 3 and started to enjoy the climbs; trying to keep up a constant pace up and down the hills. Other than a little knee pain, I was no worse for wear at the end.

Have a great week.

11 comments:

Ewen said...

Forerunner Man would feel rejected if I didn't take him for a run every day ;)

Maybe I could do it on easy runs Phil, although I'd like to know roughly how long I ran for. Sundial time perhaps?

I use 'reverse psychology' when doing hilly runs - I take pride in trying to have a very slow (6+ mins per km) average pace.

joe said...

I just discovered your blog a couple of days ago. I'm seriously considering running the Carlsbad Marathon too. Look forward to following along on your training.

Dusty said...

I'm actually one of the few who can wear a watch and not look at it (I wear the Garmin mostly so I don't have to think and recall how far I ran for my running log once I'm done). Those runs where you let your mind wander and only think about the gravel in front of you or if the light will be green or red (not caring - just wondering) are so relaxing!

Hey - if you see any 5Ks around 1/12 or 1/19 in the area, let me know. I'll be in town for the Barrett Jackson. Been googling, but no luck.

Gotta Run said...

i gave up using my garmin months ago. I would drive myself and anyone running with me crazy... we have gone 2.7 miles... we are running a 9:24 pace... 10 more miles to go.... no signal... forgot to press start... now we are running slower and need to pick it up... and it just goes on and on. I am such a obssevive person.

Way to hit the hills. What we start out hating can some times be loved.

Michele said...

I can NOT give up Gamin for any run. I HAVE to know how far I ran!

Great job on the hills. I hate those workouts

jen said...

Nice job on the hill workout. Ditching my Garmin might be just what the doctor ordered for me right now... I'm having a bit of "taper madness" with my marathon 2 weeks away. Guess at this point it doesn't much matter what my pace is on easy runs... thanks for the advice!

Addy said...

Sounds like some great runs lately. Since I came to Santa Cruz, I've seldom run with the garmin. For one thing, signal is hard to get here. For another, it just doesn't matter that much to me anymore. I generally still wear a wristwatch, and that's enough!

I do look up trail info to find out distance though. Gotta know that :P

mindy said...

What a great idea for recovery runs. Especially if you've got some nice trails around. Good luck with the hill workouts - sounds like you're running strong!

Bruce said...

Hope the hill training goes well for you. Great video of Ryan Hall , he's got an effortless technique allright.

Sub said...

I wish I could do that for my recovery runs. I'm actually scared that if I leave my Garmin behind I'll run my recovery runs too hard...

It's nice to see that your training is picking up for Carlsbad and the injuries are behind you.

The lady at the 50k sure seemed inspirational. The guy who finished last didn't do too badly either. If he can get in 31k in 5:59, I bet he runs marathons in sub-5.

Mike said...

There's certainly nothing wrong to going back to what works. I remember seeing big improvements in your running a little over a year ago when you were focusing on just running a bit more rather than running faster.

Still plenty of time before Carlsbad, I think you'll be ready for those hills.