Saturday, December 08, 2007

Check that one off

Rain finally made its way to the Valley of Sun. For the second weekend in a row we’ve received over an inch of rain. Yeh, I know this doesn’t sound like much, but when you live in a climate that only receives 5 to 6 inches in a good year, this is a whole lot of rain over 8 days. For some reason, I had this bright idea that running on one of my favorite desert trails would be a lot of fun in the rain.

WRONG … this particular area doesn’t drain real well and was little more than a 8 mile mud bog. I slipped and slid around the course for nearly 90 minutes, walking through the deeper puddles. It took so long to get around the course that I had to turn on my head lamp for the last 30 minutes. As the rain continued to fall, the puddles got deeper and deeper, going from ankle deep to mid-calf. Along one of the last stretches, the water got so deep that my black lab had swim up the trail.

You’ve should have seen it. I’m out running on the desert in the dark with my head-lamp on; wadding through muddy water up to my thighs with my dog swimming along in front of me. For a second, I thought I was down in Bayou Country. The irony is that I normally worry about the rattle snakes when I’m running in this area at night. Fortunately, I don’t think those suckers swim very well.

I’m glad I did it, but I don’t think I’ll do it again. Next time I decided to run on the desert in the middle of two week soaking, I’ll pick something far more hilly and much rockier.

I’d like to give a big shout out to Lana and Michele. Both ran the Rocket City Marathon this morning and were going for their first sub-4:00. They’ve religiously worked their way through the Pfitz 55MPW game plan and are in fantastic shape. I’m sure they far exceeded their goals. Their times weren’t posted as of this writing, but they’ve probably posted their race reports by the time you read this.

Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Awesome! I bet that was a treat. I of course knew deserts were dry, but didn't realize you guys only got 5"-6" a year. Pretty cool.

Laufenweg said...

it's always exciting to try a new running condition. i'm glad you didn't get washed away! ...also glad you weren't actually in the bayou, where a big bad gater would've gotten you! :-P

DawnB said...

so you played around in the mudd alot, and we are surpose to feel sorry for you? not, I think you had alot of fun :)

J~mom said...

Oh yuck, Phil. That does not sound like fun. Nice job sticking it out! I am loving the rain but it sure does mess up my running schedule. LOL

Josh said...

Fun... I am reminded of this