Sunday, December 09, 2007

Trail Running

My 7.4 mile run along the Squaw Peak Park section of the Christiansen Trail was the exact opposite of the mud bogging experience from last Friday night in Reach 11 Park. Whereas Reach 11 is pancake flat, the Christiansen Trail rolls through rocky hills along the north side of Squaw Peak Park. It was a completely different experience. As happened on Friday, it was raining when I started the run, but the water was washing down the side of the hills and not puddling, let alone forming the type of lakes I wadded through on Friday.

The pace was slow out and back. Running up and down hills with rocks everywhere makes for slow going through most of the run; but the views were great.

I'll leave you with a few pictures:



10 minutes after the rain stopped



Good Dog on the Run



The sun breaking through the clouds late in the afternoon



Looking north towards the McDowell Mtns.



It was a lot easier to run up this than run down it



Getting dark on the way back

15 comments:

Ewen said...

You have some great places to run Phil (if you can dodge the rattle snakes).

That was a great story about the Bayou run on Saturday. I guess living in a dry climate, every drop of rain is welcome. We've been having occasional summer downpours - quite fun to run in!

Jamie said...

Great to see the pictures. I was curious to see what the area looked like after your last post. Thanks for sharing. You do indeed live in a beautiful area.

J~mom said...

While I do love living in the SE part of the valley you have the best spots to run. The asphalt out here gets a bit dull after while. Nice job!

Thomas said...

Nice photos Phil. But Ewen's comment reminded me that I would be too freaked out about your wildlife to run in places like that, I think.

Deene said...

great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Michele said...

Great pics. What wonderful place you run.

Bruce said...

That looks like a great trail. Glad you're getting some rain down your way, sounds like you don't get all that much so I guess you don't have much experience of running through the mud.

Ted said...

Beautiful landscape! Breathtaking view! I would love to run in that kind of landscape.Maybe someday! Ever trip over any poisonous snakes there?

DawnB said...

thanks for share the pictures Phil. sound like a very challenging run. I call these runs the ones that payoff in the end.

Anne said...

We've had similar rain and similar trail wipeouts. Instead of griping, we declared ourselves in training for the next Camp Pendleton Mud Run!

Lana said...

Wow...Those are some awesome pics! That looks like something in National Geographic to me - no cacti pictures in Tennessee!

Josh said...

Looks beautiful and running is probably a great way to experience it.

~concrete angel~ said...

Love the pictures :)

Laufenweg said...

beautiful land! beautiful dog! you are very fortunate to run there. enjoy!

Gotta Run said...

You are killing me!! Those pictures are awesome. Do you run in trail shoes or road shoes. Please tell me trail. Much better support against the rocks.