Saturday, January 05, 2008

Gloomy Saturday

I was shocked at the number of people running / hiking / mountain biking through the north end of Piestawa Peak Park (aka Squaw Peak Park) in north Phoenix this afternoon. I would have thought that dark overcast skies with intermittent rain showers on a cold Saturday afternoon would be enough to keep most people inside. Wrong. The parking lot on the west side of the park was packed (roughly 30 cars). It was great to see so many people using the park.

I was out this afternoon giving my left knee a quick spin along the Christensen Trail. This 7.4 mile run is rough with a lot of hills, but the views are fabulous and there is nothing like running in a light rain on a cool afternoon.

I've been having a spot of trouble with a pain along the right side of the patella on my left knee. Nothing hugely serious, just annoying really. I've kept my daily mileage under 5.5 miles (Except for Tuesday) and have been icing regularly hoping it would heal itself; however, I needed to make a decision as to whether the knee would be strong enough to run the Carlsbad Marathon in two weeks ... So I figured a slow run through the hills would be a good test.

By the time I got to the turn-around point, I pretty much knew the answer. I didn't set any goals for myself this year other than to get healthy, get stronger and run injury free. In keeping with that thought, I've decided to bow out of this marathon.

I'm off to Frankfurt Germany tomorrow afternoon for a week. The hotel I'm using doesn't have an internet connection so I may not be able to post again until I get back next weekend. In the mean time, I hope you all have a great week and I wish all the best for those of you tapering for the the Arizona R&R Marathon next Sunday.

14 comments:

Ewen said...

Looks like another great trail run there Phil.

It must be disappointing having to DNS at Carlsbad. I agree though, that staying injury-free is a better goal for this time of the year. There'll be other races.

Laufenweg said...

Gute Fluge!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

sounds like a beautiful afternoon for a run.

also sounds like you are doing a good job of listening to your body!

Thomas said...

Wise decision. You definitely were not ready to run a marathon!

Dusty said...

Getting strong and healthy - not bad goals. Bowing out of the race is a big step, but looks like it is the one that will help you reach your goal. Once you are healthy, you can sign up again and run it faster!

Looks like I'll be getting to the Valley of the Sun about the same time you return from your trip. Have a safe trip!

Love2Run said...

Smart move Phil. There are a lot of runners (myself included) who tend to ignore body signals at their own peril. Lots of other races to choose from when you're ready. Have a good trip.

J~mom said...

Sorry to hear that Phil, but it does sound best! Take care and have a great trip!

tbtgwacmtt said...

Trail running is pretty taxing on any of us. 7+ miles on trails is a great run especially with the 'angry' knee!

Stay safe on your trip - the rain should have passed by the time you get home.

- Bill

Deene said...

smart decision to let the knee heal first. you're next marathon will be much better for it. have fun in germany!

Gotta Run said...

Hard decision BUT a very smart one. Without our health we would not be able to run al all anyway.

Safe travels Phil!

Nicole said...

Good decision on the marathon - get healthy first! Be safe in Germany.

Josh said...

Have a good trip and feel confident that you made the right call with regard to Carlsbad.

jen said...

I bookmarked that trail- I will check it out next time I am in Phx. Thanks!

Good call on the marathon. Gotta look at the big picture and the one marathon isn't that important. You'll be back to marathoning before you know it anyway.

Have a safe and wonderful trip to Germany!

Carmen said...

Hey there Phil. Long time, eh? I started over with a new blog and just in time for the new year! I've committed myself to blogging regularly as I get ready for Eugene in May.

Just thought I'd let you know where I'm at...

www.gottapushfor9s.blogspot.com

Maybe I'll see you around- in the blogworld and at local races! I'm thinking of joining Lisa's running club. Will keep you updated. Hope you rung in 2008 well.