Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Home Tour

With no particular plan in mind, my black lab and I set off down the road this evening for a slow run. It was a perfect evening for a run. The wind was blowing all over as a storm was developing to the north. Flashes of lightning pierced through the darkness on the horizon and the smell of rain was in the air. I punched up an all Amy Lee selection and cranked up the tunes. I've got 40 songs of her songs on my iPod, so I was pretty sure I couldn't out run her.

3 miles into the run, I found myself running by the first house I bought after moving to Arizona in 1980. A cute little place my wife and I picked up for 85K with a 70K mortgage. Sweet! Sort of wish I was still living in it. The music kept pounding and I kept running; feeling pretty good. No pain, no fatigue (no speed, but so what).

I wondered around for a few more miles and somewhere along mile 6 I started heading home, but not before I took a run by the 2nd house I owned. I don't have the same sentimental feelings for the second house. It was OK; much larger than the first, bigger lot, better neighborhood, country club within walking distance, etc, etc … but it just didn’t had the same charm.

Amy was still singing, so I kept running. Out past 7 miles, no pain, no fatigue. All systems were working fine.

The last 3 miles were uneventful. I took the most direct route, not wanting to tempt the Fates and more than I had. But the gods of running must have been smiling on me. I wasn't 1 was less than a quarter of a mile from my house that I started to feel anything in the left knee. Again, not an acute pain, just a subtle reminder that I’m not ready to take off on a 20 miler just yet.

But I got in 10.1 miles, the longest run of the year. I also only got through 24 songs in 1:37 … still had plenty of music to keep me going once I get this knee working right. I’m targeting 24 miles for this week (10% more than last week) and I’m already at 17 … I’ll need to back off a little and make sure I don’t over due it this weekend.

Hope your week is going great. Take care.

Post Script: If you want to see a truly original running blog, check out Funny Accent. I’ve never seen anything like it.

6 comments:

anasalwa said...

Phil,
Thank you for dropping by at my site and left a comment. 100% agree with you, running is about the moment. Boy, it takes ages for me to learn. Yes, running defines us. Thank you for your kind words.

Grellan said...

Looks like you're getting back into the grove. Keep it up.

Ewen said...

My week is over, thank goodness - very busy - little time to read blogs ;) Bring on the weekend!

16k with just a subtle reminder is fantastic Phil. May the running gods keep smiling.

Poor Amy's first video "wasn't available in your country" - the second one was pretty good though :)

angie's pink fuzzy said...

yay!

Ryan said...

Nice job with your run and your mileage.

But,

I am really impressed with your dog.

10 miles? I must have the lazy version of a dog because she is winded going to the mailbox and back.

Ruff grrr bark ruff ruff!
(word of congrats for the dog)

24, almost there!

Josh said...

A nice run down memory lane --- only literally. Cool.