Saturday, March 22, 2008

Santa Catalina Mountains - Tucson

Went down to Tucson to spend the weekend with my oldest daughter. After a run this morning through the University of Arizona, my daughter, brother-in-law and I drove up to the ski area near the top of the Santa Catalina Mountains for a hike. Unlike most spring days, there was still a lot of snow above 7,500' ... in fact a bit too much. We got bogged down in snow on the first two trails we tried and finally ended up further down the mountain on the Green Mountain Trail at 7,000'.

Enjoy













You can still see the results of the 2003 "Aspen Fire" when 8500 acres at the top of the mountain burned.

Came around a corner on the trail and ran into John Adams sitting on the hill side.

The picture above is the San Pedro River valley. The Feds had a brainy idea to run a new freeway through this valley to reduce congestion on the I10 between Phoenix and Tucson. This was a really dumb idea. The last thing we need is another reason to rip up unspoiled land and promote more sprawl.


My daughter and brother-in-law at the turn around point on the Green Mountain Trail (6,300')





Always hamming it up for the camera

18 comments:

Blaxabbath said...

Take it for what it's worth but they have scrapped plans for the San Pedro bypass.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/230870.php

Love2Run said...

Snow, shorts, Arizona, this does not compute! Beautiful pictures.

Thomas said...

The photos in the last two entries are spectacular, Phil. If I ever make it to that part of the world, I'll have to have a good look myself.

Dusty said...

Great shots, thanks for sharing! Arizona is so beautiful.

mindy said...

Awesome pix. Nice that you got to experience a little bit of snow! (We still have plenty....)

Phil said...

Blaxabbath ... I was reacting to an 03/21 article in the AZ Republic:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/green/articles/0321enviro-oppose321.html

Thanks for the update.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

mmm, what fun!!!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Love the pictures! Looks like you had a great time down there.

miss petite america said...

just how many pictures do you have of yourself like that last one?

Nicole said...

Looks like a lot of fun.

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

I don't know how you did it, but I can just smell the crisp, clean air while looking at all those photos you took. As we say at the last mile marker, 'Good Job'.

J~Mom said...

I have been camping in that area and really enjoyed it! Nice pictures as always!

Anne said...

It's amazing you can hike in snow this time of year -- in southern Arizona. Love all the photos and find that lab of yours is quite the modest model, looking aloof like those supermodels.

Ewen said...

Lovely photos Phil. I'm not totally surprised at the desert/snow mix. The snow at Crater Lake was amazing when we were there in the summer of '06.

Thanks for the education too - now I know a bit about the rock-like John Adams.

anasalwa said...

Beautiful shots especially John Adams's. How is your calf? Found a new one yet?

Josh said...

Beautiful! So different from running in NYC. Maybe I'll take a camera out on my next long run for some show-n-tell.

Mike said...

So funny that you were down here. Last evening (Friday) I could have sworn I saw you running west along Sunrise Drive a bit after 5pm and did a serious double-take.

I had no idea there was still so much snow up there. Maybe I'll drag the kids up there tomorrow afternoon for a look.

Gotta Run said...

Love the snow pics!! If you can't run the trails then hiking them is the next best thing.

Looks like a great day. LOVED all the pics.

My camera is broken right now :(