Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Inside Job

OK, I'm a wimp ... it's something like a bazillion degrees outside and I'm heading indoors for my runs. The good news is - I'm running; 7 miles tonight. My heart rate was totally out of control, even at 9:40/mile; but who cares, I was running. 7 miles is about as far as I've run since April 6th. All good

RANDOM OBSERVATIONS:

1) Why would someone ride his motorcycle to the gym smoking a cigarette?
2) Since when does walking slowly on a treadmill while yakking on a cell phone constitute exercise? Somewhere during my run tonight, a gal plopped herself down on the tread mill next to me, set it on a slow walk and got on her phone ...
3) When did we get to the point where we have to open our mail over a paper shredder? Seems like nearly all the mail we get at home is some sort of junk with personal info scattered throughout ... oh, well ... we're getting good at making confetti.

Take care

6 comments:

Ewen said...

Double figures Phil - 11.3k - good stuff.

1) Because you can't smoke in the gym.
2) Because women can do two things at once (didn't you know that!).
3) When shredders started being sold in K-mart (about 5 years ago here).

Your bazillion degrees reminds me of the old joke:

Donald Rumsfeld is giving the president his daily briefing. He concludes by saying: "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed."

"OH NO!" the President exclaims. "That's terrible!"

His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as the President sits, head in hands.

Finally, the President looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion?"

Deene said...

it's expected to be at 89f here for our trail run and i'm already debating if i should skip it and go inside and run on the 'mill instead..

J~Mom said...

Ok, I could get flamed for this but I have issues with walking in general. ;>) And not just that I don't like doing it (I have been trying to do more lately instead of rest days) but I see groups of women totally decked out even with camelpacks but walking at a snail pace, stopping to laugh or whatever. I always comment to Aaron that they need to get their HR up and I guess I come across a little judgemental.

Jim said...

Answers to your random thoughts-
1)Smoking and motorcycles-both will kill you. Of course too much time at the gym can kill you too
2)What a waste of a treadmill. Nothing against walking but you can do that at home! Women do multi-task better than men. Now excuse me while a take a break to chew my gum!
3)papershredders are fun! Sort of like trying to see how much junk you can flush down a toilet!

Glad to hear that you're winning the battle. I wish I could say the same.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

1. gotta have pecs and biceps and good lats to look good on a motorcycle...

2. i don't get the whole 'on a cell phone at the gym' thing period, whether it's fast or slow, on a treadmill or in a spinning class. isn't the point of exercise to get breathless?

3. that reminds me, i need to get a paper shredder...

Tammy said...

Hi Phil