Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's too DAMN HOT

115F.

Let me repeat that in case you missed it: 115F (for those using a rational system of measures ... that's 46C). Here in Arizona, we have our own quirky way of talking about temperature. Rumor has it that Eskimos have numerous was to talk about snow. Those of us on the South Western US deserts have our own ways to talk about heat. Any thing below 105F we call "seasonably warm". From 105 to 110, is just plan hot. 110, 111, 112 ... still HOT, but ok ... 113 ... a little hotter; Red Badge of Courage stuff ... 114, yikes, 115: TOO DAMN HOT. There was no way I'd be running outside today. I got up late and it was already close to 90F. It's 9 PM right now and my temperature gage is reading 109F.

Fortunately I got smart and went to my gym today for an easy 5 miles on the treadmill. Started out nice and slow (what's the rush anyway), something close to 12/mile. Cranked up the speed every 1/4 mile until I was running 9:30/mile comfortably, keeping my HR below 140 ... well within my aerobic range. Nice run ... considering there was no way I was going to try to run outside.

BLOGGER HOOK UP:

Every once in a while you get an opportunity to meet a truly unique individual. I got my chance on Thursday night when I drove up to Sedona to meet Robin and her husband Scott for dinner. They were in in Sedona from South Carolina on vacation. These are really nice people. Robin is a hard core ultra runner and Scott is the hands down winner of the much coveted "spouse of the year" award for all the support he gives her. Just a great couple. The type of people that make you feel good for having the opportunity to meet with them.

 

 


It was nearly 10PM before I left Sedona for the 100 mile trip down the mountain back to Phoenix. I put the top down on my Mustang and enjoyed the cool moutain air rushing over the top of the car on the trip down. It's these sort of nights that remind me why I own a convertible. I almost felt sorry watching the SUVs scream by me on the freeway as they hurtled down the hill .. having no idea what it felt like to feel alive; listening to the crickets, feeling the cool air on your skin, just enjoying life; instead of rushing from point A to point B. Some folks don't have a clue.

Take care.

9 comments:

Ewen said...

You can have that Phil - 46C is bloody hot in our language.

We liked Sedona - some great driving roads around there - perfect for the Mustang I reckon.

Thomas said...

That's hotter than hell, isn't it?

DawnB said...

Ouch you'll never hear me complain again. maybe just a little. But I think of this post and be thankful.

Bex said...

I totally empathize. It was 113 degrees yesterday. We are now in Day 4 of our heat wave. Although of course for you Arizonians, that's not a heat wave. Is it?

Anyway, love the photos. So nice that you got together with another RBFer. I also just uploaded a whole bunch of photos from the Tahoe Relay, put together a short music video of our race, and I promise to finish writing about the race report on my blog this weekend.

Ted said...

Yeeeeeooooowwwhh !!! 115 degrees ??? Forgetaboutit dude! I would just sit in front of the a/c and sipping pina colada. That is way too HOT. Kudos for having the top down and enjoying life. You are right, some folks just don't get it.

Josh said...

Ahhh, yes! The PTTD55 air conditioning system! I know it well.

Put The Top Down at 55 mph

Comm's said...

Were not going to be able to get around it for the next three months, my plan is the same as before, slower pace, shorter run, camelback or stashed water refills for my water belt.

J~Mom said...

Love your description of the heat!

Anne said...

We had some unseasonably warm weather this past weekend, so I can relate. Love love love all of the photos in the previous two posts. You've got a good eye, Phil. I miss Niagara Falls, which seems quite the contrast to the 115-degree conditions you've got now.