Monday, June 02, 2008

Week in Review

My first 5K in forever took a lot out of my legs this week. I got in a few short runs, but was sluggish and never really got going. I expect that to change next week.

The heat is on here in Phoenix as we officially start the summer season. So what's new! It's late May and I'm living on a desert. Just have to deal with it.

Really awesome people:

Michele - Ran a great half-Iron Man today. Check out her race report
Thomas - Taking on yet another Marathon on Monday. I expect he'll crush the course.
Grellan - Running same race as Thomas. Since Grellan is much closer to my age, I'm pulling for Grellan to win.
German Fernandez - No idea who this kid is, but he ran a 4:00 (as in minutes) 1600m in the California State Track Championships. He also broke the national High School record in the 3200 2 hours later - running an 8:34. And I was wiped out for days after one slow 5K.

Week in Review

Peak Weight - 198 lbs
Running - 19.2 Miles in 5 Runs
Biking - 40.3 Miles in 4 Rides
Cities - 2 (Manhattan Beach, CA; Phoenix, AZ)

11 comments:

Deene said...

The heater got turned on here as well but i understand that's just a teaser for beginning of the week. we'll still have to keep a sweater handy.

J~Mom said...

Looks like you are finding your patterns again! Keep it up!

Ewen said...

Phil, you shouldn't mention the great races from all those people - it just makes me feel tired/inadequate ;)

13C here and rainy - our first for ages.

Grellan said...

Just catching up Phil. Great to see you back racing and doing so well. TYhis should be sufficient motivation to keep you running and blogging.

Sorry to disappoint you in Cork, not winning and all that (I don't think i'll even win, but maybe some day i'll beat Thomas) but I'm already looking forward to getting back to training and setting my sights on the next marathon PB.

Dusty said...

I could stare at that picture of the Grand Canyon for hours.

I'm sure your sluggishness will be gone soon - just keep pushing through gently and the legs will realize they need to get with your program. ;)

My coach & I were talking about German at the track last night. Amazing. Cool link - thanks.

Amy said...

The heat is on here too....yuck...

DawnB said...

its here too, but I know how it gets there. Hang in there

Sub said...

Thanks for your comments on my race Phil! I have to be glad it ended up OK considering everything. The arch is gradually healing up. Hopefully, a couple of weeks of no running will fix it.

I am amazed by how dedicated you guys are to train through that kind of heat. I find myself whining when it hits 65F here ...

Marathoner in Training said...

Crank up the heat, it must be all that Global Warming.

Ewen said...

Phil, your comment had me thinking about 1500s, metric miles, 1600s... that was an amazing run from German Fernandez - by himself the whole way and close to 60s for each lap.

When he gets to race 1609.34 metres with some runners to chase, he'll surely break 4 minutes.

Mike said...

Still pretty decent down in Tucson in the mornings, as temps have stayed in the 60's until 8 or so. Glad to see you back in the saddle.