Sunday, July 13, 2008

1/2 Mary

12 miles on the plan; 13.1 in the bank. It didn't start out this way. I dragged my sorry butt out of bed this morning and headed to the gym for a 12 miler on the treadmill. The first mile was murder, very tight. The 2nd wasn't much better. Started to loosen up on the 3rd, but lost all desire to keep running shortly thereafter. Just didn't have any interest. This was very odd. There were all sorts of folks jogging around me and I just didn't care. 3.2 miles was all I had in me

This afternoon was very different. Torqued that I'm missed my target by 9 miles, I headed back to the gym at 3PM. The first 3 mile breezed by, mostly run at 9:30/mi with the incline set to 0.5%. Several joggers came and went, but no one was sticking around for a real run. Miles 4, 5 and 6 were about the same as the first 3. I had a good sweat going, but wasn't tired .... at this point, I was simply focused on finishing up my 9 miles and hadn't given any thought to running longer.

Somewhere around mile 8, I started to toss around the idea of extending the run out to 12 and by the time I had started mile 10, I had convinced myself that I could actually put in 13.1 this afternoon. I'd been varying elevation up and down between 0.5% and 1.5% and modulating my pace between 9:30/mi and 9:10/mi for the past 6 miles and was still feeling good, just cruising along, not a care in the world.

At the end of mile 9, I crank the pace up to 8:50/mi. About the same time, a couple of young studs got on the machines to my left and started running at a pretty good clip; they looked like the real deal. The guy to my immediate left pushed his pace up to 10:00/mi and elevation to 2.5%, heck I could do that. I left my pace at 8:50/mi and pushed the elevation up to 2.5%. My breathing got harder, but I was still feeling good and it was great to be running with someone, even if I was moving along a little faster. Unfortunately, the real deal was actually a pretender. Right as I got past mile 11, he shut down his machine. I tried to shame him into running another couple of more miles with me, but to no avail. He was whipped.

Only two miles to go and with a little mental arithmetic, I realized I stood a fighting chance of finishing 13.1 miles under 2 hours. Not much under two, but maybe it was possible. I took the elevation back down to 0.5% and pushed the pace to 8:30, and then 8:10 a few minutes later. I kept looking at my watch and tried to do the pace vs time calculations in my head. I was still close, but nothing was guaranteed. By the time I started mile 13 I was running under 8:00/mi and was all the way down to 7:10/mi by the time I ran past the 13.1 mile mark.

I didn't exactly hit 2 hours -- finished in 2:00:18. Still, I pretty good run.

WEEK IN REVIEW

Mon: XTRAIN (2.5 miles on the elliptical)
Tue: 7.0 miles w/ 4x10 min @8:20/mi
Wed: 3.5 miles @9:22/mi avg
Thr: 4.5 miles w/ 4x1:30 min Hill Sprints
Fri: XTRAIN (1500m Swim - 33:07 min)
Sat: 6.0 miles easy @9:27/mi avg
Sun: 3.2 miles easy @9:35/mi avg
Sun: 13.1 miles long @9:11/mi avg

TOTAL RUNNING: 37.8 Miles

That makes 3 weeks in a row over 30 miles. The last time I did that was Oct '07. The last time I ran more 3 35+ weeks in a row was December '06. It's been a long time coming.

I'm heading to Mexico this week, so it will be a lighter week than the past three. I think I need a break anyway. Don't want to get injured at this point.

Take care.

8 comments:

angie's pink fuzzy said...

right ON!

Jim said...

You are THE MAN! No . . . SUPERMAN. If you can run that long on a treadmill you have to be tough! GREAT JOB!

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job!!! That far on a dreadmill would have KILLED me!!

J~Mom said...

Nice to hear that things are going well again! See you Saturday?

Ewen said...

I like your treaddy "races". I don't know whether to be more impressed by your speedy time or the fact that you managed 2 hours on the 'mill.

Lovely scenic stage last night, and an Aussie leads by 1 second!

Dusty said...

wow!!! You and my friend e can just go on for days. That is impressive.

Grellan said...

That a very impressive treadmill run Phil - and the pace getting faster all the time - shows you've picked up some endurance. The longest I've even spent on a treadmill is 55 minutes, before the men in white coats came and took me away.

DawnB said...

you're doing great Phil you had a great week.