Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sammamish River Trail

I'm in Seattle this week and got bumped out of my hotel in Redmond on Monday night (damn those Microsoft corporate types). Instead, I got re booked into a hotel in Bothel, 10 miles north of Redmond. Other than fighting the insane traffic north from Redmond, this was a perfect spot for a runner. Two miles from the hotel, I found a nice place to park my car and took in a great 6 miler south along the Sammamish River trail at 5:30 on Tuesday morning.

What a difference from the hell-hole that is Phoenix this time of the year. Moist cool air, over cast skies and miles and miles of paved trails running along what is left of the river (the Army Core of Engineers dredged the river years ago creating a uniform channel). Tough to beat. Average pace over 6 miles - 9:38

This morning I was back in Redmond and took in a completely different run. Instead of my usual running route, I headed north to 140th and ran up the 1.5 long hill. Slow going up, kick-ass fast coming down ... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ... I just don't understand why everybody isn't out running in this weather. Just couldn't beat it with a stick.

Tonight I'm heading back to Phoenix and I'm currently stuck at the Airport in Seattle ... flight delays ... so what's new.

Hope all is going well with you. Take care

10 comments:

J~Mom said...

You can report on just about any other place in the world but don't mention Seattle. I *heart* Seattle and want to move there someday. ;>) I am happy you get to enjoy it though.

Ewen said...

Thanks Phil. Not bad here, although the run of 8C days is getting tiresome. Oh for a bit of warmth :)

Sounds like a couple of great runs there. The north-west always seemed like a great place for 'summer' running.

Gotta Run said...

What a find!!! Funny how so many people have no idea what a wonderful place they live in.

Hope you made it home fine.

Carmen said...

What I wouldn't give for it to be October/November around these parts! I took my first run outside this morning and apparently didn't drink enough water for a mere 1.5 miles; I walked home with a headache. In Arizona, you just don't mess around. Glad you enjoyed that fun-sounding run. Downhill runs are bomb!

Comm's said...

I used to live in Kirkland, between Redmond and Bellevue. If you get the chance and the weathers nice, drive over Rose Hill and into Kirkland, and run along the waterfront. Its a good 6k out and back.

Loved running along the slough from bothell landing to Redmond. Goes forever.

Lana said...

Oh wow...that sounds great! I'm jealous.

Anne said...

I love discoveries like the park trail you found. Thank goodness for involuntary displacements, huh!

pink dogwood said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I didn't think anyone will notice my little blog, so I didn't notice your comments. I truly appreciate your advice and I am going to incorporate it into my running schedule. I love all of the running blogs like yours because it easy for a newblie runner like me to get discouraged and to feel like quitting. It is nice to read blog like yours to feel a sense of running community, no matter how wide spread it is. Thanks again :)

Pace Runner said...

Hi Phil,

Thanks for stopping by.... Seattle is a great city. My husband and I have spent couple months there a few years ago and really enjoyed the 'overcast, rainy' days when we were there....

In response to running in the thunderstorm, I don't think it was such a smart idea, if it was raining alone that day, it would of been fine but it was lightening/thundering pretty bad, but for some reason the adrenaline was kicking in and I HAD to finish my run. I guess the good thing that came out of it, the last 1.5 miles was speed work.... :)

Thanks again for stopping by and best of luck to you in your running....

jen said...

Oh I can imagine how sweet the moist cool Seattle air must have felt. Hang in there though, Seattle will be jealous of you in a few months. Great run. :)