Saturday, August 30, 2008

Blowing in the Wind

For the past two nights, the heavens have opened up and pounded the Phoenix area with lightning, slashing rain and wind speeds over 80 MPH. Although, my house scrapped by with only a few leaky doors and windows others around town haven't fared as well. This was one heck of a storm.





Several areas lost power when poles started flying.






Trees that had withstood all sorts of weather, couldn't take the wind.





Roofs and statues were flying all over the place. I found the remainder of a 16x10' carport next to the road on my run Friday morning. . It must have been a real Wizard of Oz moment when this thing came blowing down the street.

On the running front, the week has gone very well; right up to Friday. I gave blood again on Friday morning and then went to the gym Friday afternoon for a strenous workout. My HR hit the roof almost immeadiately while trying to jog on the treadmill with the inclintion set at 15%. Some day I'll buy a clue and remember that I can't pound out the miles after lossing a pint of blood.

16 comments:

Ewen said...

That's some storm Phil. Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed. I feel sorry for those folk in New Orleans.

The price of clues has gone up with inflation ;)

Thomas said...

Woah, Phil. Those pictures are seriously scary!

mindy said...

Wow. Glad you are ok. This was totally overshadowed in the news by Gustav. I didn't know it rained in Phoenix! :)

Ted said...

Holy Cow !!! Unbelievable !!! It must be the monsoon season. The pictures sure speak for itself.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

wow! that's like a storm we had in Tucson about two-three weeks ago. it's amazing the amount of power those storms can pack!

Jamie said...

Whoa! That looks like it was really intense.

Wayne said...

Wow, I hope everyone was okay. The pictures remind me of the numerous typhoons and super-typhoons I've been through in Guam. Be careful on your runs.

J~Mom said...

Crazy storms!! The light show was unbelievable!

Grellan said...

That's some storm.

15% gradient - I didn't know they could go that steep. The gym should be the last place to go after giving blood.

Michele said...

wow, glad to hear you didn't suffer and major damage.

Gotta Run said...

What a storm!! How sad for those that received damage.

Lets see... pint of blood and then what? Have you lost your mind?

Carmen said...

Surprisingly, I slept through most of the commotion. Hubby woke me up to view the lightning and I was in awe for like, five seconds, and went back to bed. I was too tired. I was amazed by the sound of the constant thunder though...it was like a pot of boiling water over Tempe.

I work right near the light rail station in your third to the bottom photo. I couldn't believe how bad the storm was in the central Phoenix area. The only good thing that came out of this destruction was a day off on Friday due to down power lines. :P

Deene said...

Holy Toledo!!

pink dogwood said...

omg - glad to hear that you are ok.

Anne said...

Those storms looked like they caused far more damage than the hurricane that was overblown (no pun intended) by the press and politicians.

Sub said...

Glad to hear that you escaped the effects of the storm. From the pics it looks pretty nasty!