Sunday, October 05, 2008

In for the long haul

13 miles ... that's not really all that far, is it ... just a 1/2 marathon, but this morning, it might as well have been a full 26.2 miles.

Being the good do bee that is me, I hydrated well on Saturday and got plenty of sleep + I laid out a course that let me circle back to my house after 7 miles to pick up more water. In addition to all the prep, the weather couldn't have been more pleasant; 67F at 5AM. It rained over night, so the air was clean and moist ... couldn't beat it with a stick.

My black lab and I left the house at 5:30AM and headed east towards the dull glow over of the McDowell Mtns. The first few miles were nice and slow and my HR barely got up over 130. I picked up the pace a little on mile 3 to get my HR to settle in around 135 on avg ... so far do good. Good times all the way through mile 7 when I got back to my house and dropped off the lab, picked up a water bottle and headed out for the last 6 miles.

By now, the sun was up over the horizon, but the temperature remained relatively cool. Mile 8 and 9 were OK, but I could start to feel the strain of the run in my hips along mile 10. My HR was raising up and reached 140 as I dehydrated and I had to pull back on my pace to keep my HR under control. Of course by now, I didn't feel much like accelerating anyway.

Somewhere along mile 8, I'd toyed with the idea of doing two 7 mile loops and finishing up the morning with a 14 miler. Any thought of extending this run beyond 13 quickly evaporated as I started mile 12. Holy crap, it was left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot time. My Garmin finally peeped once again and displayed, 12 miles - 11:08. I was slowing down, but good.

Mile 13: What can I say about mile 13 that hasn't been said a thousand times by nearly all of us. I'll leave the details to your imagination. At the end of mile 13, I found myself a 1/2 mile from my house, but I just stopped running. I couldn't will myself to run another step. But ... on the plus side, I got it done. I guess that counts for something.

SPLITS: 10:43, 10:38, 10:15, 10:23, 11:04 (quick bio break), 10:05, 10:43, 10:32, 10:21, 10:44, 10:37, 11:08, 11:18

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK


MON: Rest
TUE: 7.0 miles, Aerobic: 10:09/mi; HR avg=134
WED: Rest
THR: 8.7 miles, Aerobic: 9:44/mi; HR avg=134
FRI: Rest
SAT: 6.0 miles, Recovery: 11:08/mi; HR avg=128
SUN: 13 miles, Long: 10:41/mi; HR avg=137

Total Mileage: 34.7

7 comments:

Ewen said...

Sorry for chuckling at the "left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot time" bit Phil.

Yes, we all know the feeling. 7:01 kilo pace for that last mile - now that's really getting ugly!

Good on you for finishing it.

Thomas said...

You got it done indeed. Good for you, Phil. You're finally on your way back.

Gotta Run said...

Phil,

Keep remembering that you are smarter this time around and miles are miles no matter what the pace.

Focus... one step in fron to fthe other... repeat...

Nice miles for the week!!!! YAHHOOO!!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Good job getting the run in. Now focus on your recovery.

It sure was nice to have some cooler weather this weekend, wasn't it?

J~Mom said...

Glad you got to enjoy that gorgeous day yesterday!!

DawnB said...

You did it nice job youre on your way back.

Josh said...

Oh yeah that counts!