Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Stand Down

I have voted. I mailed my completed ballot to the Arizona Secretary of State's office this evening, so there is no need to continue with this election cycle in the USA. I have spoken. I realize half of you think me an idiot and the other half realize my genius based on my selection; nonetheless, I have so spoken; so let's get on with solving the bigger issue and stop the madness. Now that the election is settled, we can get back to discussing running.

So far so good this week. Had a great 7 miler on Tuesday and an 8 to 9 miler scheduled on Thursday. On Tuesday I was cruising along at 5:30 AM on mile 5, minding my own business and running by the local high school when what do I spot, but a gaggle of runners exiting the HS parking lot 200 meters in front of me. They turned and commenced running the same direction as I; thereby setting up the perfect situation for a chase.

OK, I know I'm supposed to be running at a nice, clean aerobic pace, but how many times do you get the opportunity to chase down a High School cross country team out on their morning long run?

I had closed 50 meters of the gap when they turned and started running up an easy grade the extends nearly a mile north of the school. Perfect ... nothing like catching a dozen or so runners going up hill. I don't have a clue what my pace was since it was still dark, but my HR was up over 150 and I was closing the gap fast. As I came up behind the group, I realized it was the girl's team. Not wanting to spook them and sensing that an old fart creeping up behind a bunch of teenage girls at 5:30 in the morning was a bit creepy, even if said old fart was running with his black lab, I crossed to the opposite side of the road as I cruised by the group.

Now what? I'm running up hill way too fast and I've got a dozen girls running behind me. Obvious answer: accelerate. I managed to get to the top of the hill and turn west to continue my run before I gave myself permission to look over my shoulder to make sure they weren't following. Fortunately, they weren't and I could slow down and get my HR back in the 135 to 140 range. Bonehead move ... but lots of fun.

I'm off to the Grand Canyon on Friday and plan to do a North to South traverse on Saturday. I'll try to sneak in one more post with more info before I leave. Hope all is going well with all of you.

6 comments:

Ewen said...

That's what nice, dirty anaerobic paces are for - having fun in training!

I'm chuckling at your relief when you chose the right (wrong) way and lost the chasing pack of girls.

Enjoy the Grand Canyon. I must get back there one day.

Gotta Run said...

You would not be the Phil we all love if you did nto chase them down :)

BTW - you are not an old fart

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

LOL! I'm not sure which is funnier - that the election is now over or you chasing down the kiddies. Great job!

Have a great time at the Grand Canyon. I want to hear all about it.

J~Mom said...

DH already mailed in his ballot as well. Mine will be later this week...I already have my mind made up yet haven't filled it out yet. Have a fun weekend!

Michele said...

I chased down some runners the other day too. Was glad then went straight after I turned. I couldn't hold that pace for much longer.
Have a great trip. Hope you post pics. Might be as close as I ever get to the Grand Canyon.

Josh said...

Pride... It'll be the end of us all.

Fun post!