Wednesday, November 12, 2008

176

Who'd have thunk it. Who would have thought that I could push myself hard enough to get my HR up and sustain 176, but this I did on a treadmill in South Bend, Indiana this past Tuesday night. I was scheduled for a 3.2 mile recovery run following my 8 mile tempo the night before and did oki-doki for first 2 miles, keeping the pace slow and my HR well within the lower bounds of my aerobic range ... but boredom set in on mile 3 and I felt a bit adventurous. Starting at the 2 mile mark with the inclination set at 1.5%, I adjusted the pace down to an easy 10/mi and commenced to crank up the inclination 1% every 0.1 mile.

Of the fun ... the pure joy of pushing one's self to the limit. 2.5% - no problem; 3.5% - child's play; 4.5% - OK, I felt that; 5.5%, 6.5%, 7.5% - I be huffing and puffing now; 8.5% - HR well north of 165 - up to 5K range; 9.5% - 170, 171, 172, 173; 10.0% - 174, 175, 175, 175. I didn't think it was going to happen; but with 0.05 on mile 3, 176 popped onto my watch and stayed there for 20 seconds.

For sure, my legs felt like rubber and I wasn't about to raise the inclination any more, but I did it. My previous high reading was 172 - so this was quiet the accomplishment. Funny how the simple things in life bring us so much joy.

Go team go ... hope all is well.

5 comments:

Ewen said...

Good stuff Phil. 176 is a high number.

I don't think I'm game to try something like that - looks much harder than the effort of any race!

Sub said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Appreciate it.

Glad to see that your running is going well in spite of all the travelling. Great pics from the Rim to Rim hike.

Grellan said...

I must say when running up a treadmill with a 10% grade the word "joy" does not come to mind. Now if it was during the rim to rim adventure i'd understand.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Awesome! That's quite a workout, especially the day after a tempo run. Nice job.

jen said...

Wow, I would have fallen off the treadmill. That's hard core!