Monday, November 10, 2008

Travels and Tribulations

On the road again. Actually, I’ve been on the road physically and mentally nearly non-stop. I’ve spent no more than 3 days in my official office (the one with my name on the door) in the past three weeks and I’m currently on a South West Airlines 737-800, heading to Chicago; after which, I’ll rent a car and drive to South Bend, Indiana. I’m on the road so much, that I now include my location at the top of my OUTLOOK calendar for each day so my Admin has a fighting chance to keep up with me. Ironically, I’m ever more conscious of where I’m not. The more I go, the more I’m cognizant that I should be somewhere else. I need to get back to Mexico very soon and it’s been months since I’ve been to Canada. I can’t remember the last time I was in California and the folks in Tucson must think I’m avoiding them. I’ve completely given up any thought of getting back to France anytime soon. It’s been 11 months since I was in Germany and even longer since I stepped on English soil. Bitch, bitch, bitch……..

Despite the traveling, my running is doing exceedingly well. I’m completely recovered from my last Grand Canyon crossing and running stronger than I have all year. I got in 37 quality miles in 6 runs two weeks ago and 33+ miles this past week in 4 runs, including a fantastic 12 miler on Sunday where, after nearly two hours on the road, I was honored with a spectacular sun-rise of the type you can only see in the desert. It nearly brought tears to my eyes. Of course the reds and oranges that exploded in the clouds as the sun started its slow rise over the McDowell Mountains could have been a total delusion brought on by dehydration and glycogen depletion – who knows – but it was outstanding none-the-less. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my camera – so the image will just have to remain forever locked in my feeble brain.

Cheers … and happy travels to all.

7 comments:

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

I'm glad to hear your running has been going so well. I can't imagine traveling that much. I'm sure I couldn't do it.

jen said...

Way to get in some solid miles despite the travel. I loved traveling at my previous job - seeing new places and getting to run all over is fun stuff. Enjoy it! :)

david said...

Sounds like you are doing well with your "come back". Kudos for keeping up the running while traveling!

Ewen said...

When I read of your travels I feel like a nap!

Great job to keep the running going under those circumstances. I can just imagine that sunset, but maybe it was dust from blowing desert sands causing your eyes to water ;)

Anne said...

Sounds like we're both in the zone these days...and witnessing the same spectacular sunrises, sans camera.

J~Mom said...

Glad to hear your running is going well! It's crazy how much you are on the road! Take care!!

Josh said...

You are a serious road warrior! do you get upgrades everywhere you go?