Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008 Wrap Up

Ah ... the traditional year-end wrap up. This should be really short since I didn't set any goals for 2008; other than getting healthy and over coming the injuries that plagued me through much of the back half of 2007. For the most part, I've accomplished that.

Although I only ran 1,100 miles this year; I'm running pain free. I had my weekly mileage built back up to the 40+ miles/week range in November and started to enjoy our sport again. I didn't race much, only competing in five 5Ks and one 10K all year; with none anywhere close to a PR.

On the plus side, I had three significant accomplishments

1) I started yoga, found that I really enjoyed it and dramatically improved my flexibility. Before yoga, I cold barely reach my shins and now I can put all 10 fingers on the floor (the palms will have to wait a few more months)
2) Introduced a new runner to our sport and coached her to a 31:11 in her first 5K and, in the process, created another running fanatic (insert evil laugh here)
3) Finally got my weight back down to the low 170 lb range.

I guess it's been a pretty good year.

I don't have a clue what 2009 will bring. Clearly, I need to get my life back on track with a renewed focus. I need to blog more and make sure that I keep up with all my blogging friends. I need to keep up the yoga and continue to improve my flexibility and I need to set some specific goals for running this year. With your help, I should be able to do that and more.

I wish you all the best over New Years and hope you all do nothing but improve throughout 2009.

I'll leave you with a few pictures from my Christmas Vacation in Mission Viejo, California.



Laguna Hills



My little brother and me



My nephew and me



Mt. Baldy



The Pacific Ocean



More ocean shots



Pacific Ocean through the Reeds


I didn't take the following pictures of the Sierra Nevada mountain range in Eastern California, but got permission from the photographer to use them. They are really cool.

From Eastern California


From Eastern California


From Eastern California


From Eastern California

6 comments:

Anne said...

I'm glad the yoga is working so well for you and your weekly mileage is back where you want it to be. I hope to finally meet you in person next year if you decide to race (or even just run) down this way. Happy New Year, Phil!

Deene said...

you did well in '08! thanks for sharing the photos, and the mountain views are especially lovely.

jen said...

Beautiful photos!

You had a very strong 2008 and sounds like you have another healthy year ahead. Happy New Year!

Thomas said...

I bet my little brother is at least as big as yours.

Happy New Year, Phil.

Ewen said...

Happy New Year Phil!

You're looking pretty fit. Great photos. The Sierra Nevadas are fantastic - I remember we had a great view of them from Lone Pine, but not so much snow.

Good luck with your running in 2009 - can't wait to hear the goals. Keep that evil laugh going ;)

J~Mom said...

Happy New Year!! I am glad to hear that you are ending the year on a good note!