Saturday, January 10, 2009

Life 101A

Life is funny isn't it. At one moment, you are confident that you understand your future and everything is laid out in front of you in an orderly fashion. The next moment, you are jolted out of complacency and realize it's all an illusion as some random event drives you in a completely different and unexpected direction. Life is about choses. We don't get to pick the questions, but we do get to choose the answers.

On the running front, I'm getting back into the swing of things after a slower than expected December. I'm still running injury free and I've worked my way back up to 30 miles per week. My weight is down to 172 pounds; just 4 pounds above where I was when I graduated from college over 30 years ago. Being lighter, I'm running faster at a lower avg heart rate. This morning, I ran 10 miles and kept my HR right around 135 BPM. My avg pace over 10 mile = 9:36/mi. Two months ago, I ran a similar run much nearer 152 BPM. I'm still not ready to take on a marathon; but I have signed up for a shorter race in February. It's all good.

Hope all of you are off to a great start for 2009. It should be an exciting year.

Cheers

9 comments:

Gotta Run said...

Life is..... what we make of it. The ride can be an adventure at times but in the end it is all about not wasting a moment of it.

If I were to die tomorrow I would only regrets making "cleaning day" so miserable around me house...lol!!

Relentless Forward Motion......

J~Mom said...

I hope everything is ok, Phil!! Life does take strange and unexpected turns sometimes! But I agree with Robin that we have to keep pressing forward and doing the best that we can with it. Let me know if you need anything!

mindy said...

Hope all is well, Phil. What would life be without a few twists and turns - but you're right, you make of it what you will - and take that knowledge on your journey. Congrats on staying true to yourself about running, you're going to have an awesome 2009.

DawnB said...

you are so right. congrats looks like you are off to a great new year.

Nicole said...

That's impressive and I'm glad you are injury free.

Ewen said...

No wonder you're running well Phil. That's great about your weight being near that of when you graduated. I can't seem to shift that last 3kgs. What's your secret?

Thomas said...

With the recession doing a worldwide round, I guess your words of wisdom are applicable in a lot of places at the moment.

The running seems to be going well. Congratulations on the weight loss. That's a significant number of pounds you have shed!

angie's pink fuzzy said...

sounds like you have some interesting stuff going on!

yay for 30 injury free miles per week!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I hope everything is going ok for you, Phil. Glad to hear you are injury-free.