Sunday, January 18, 2009

Superstition

I promise, there will be no more heavy or opaque (boarding on obtuse) posts for a while. Although I can't say that I've got everything under any semblance of control, life is, in general, good. Today, for example, I went hiking in the Superstition Mountains. I've lived in Arizona for 30 years and I've never once hiked in these hills. I haven't a clue why. When I lived in north Phoenix, they were only 60 miles away. I'd driven to the Grand Canyon, 200 miles to the north, more times than I can count, but I hadn't taken the time to hike in these hills.

I'm glad that I finally to the time. The hike was gorgeous. The temperature peaked at 75F (24C); the sky was nearly cloudless and visibility approached 100 miles. In other words, it was a perfect day for a hike.

My overall health is doing great. My weight is hovering around 170 pounds (+/- 2 pounds); I've kept up 3 times a week core strength training and I'm still taking a Yoga Class once a week. I'd like to find the time to do more yoga; but so far, I haven't managed to fit it into my schedule; and, although I bailed on my planned marathon scheduled for the end of the month, running is going well as well. I'm getting in a solid 30 miles a week and really enjoying each run.

I have an 8K trail race scheduled in 4 weeks and I ran the course this morning - it's going to be tough. The trail has 100 yard (plus) stretches of sand as the trail winds through washes and other areas that are severely torn up by horse hoofs. But, overall, the course is flat and rock free - a hard to find combination in central Arizona. I also worked out my entire race schedule for the year and I'm really excited. This should be a great year.

Hope you are all doing well, especially my friends living in the colder regions of North America. I realize that I'm down here on the deserts of the South West US running in a singlet and shorts while you're worried about freezing off your tender bits ... but it is exactly this sort of weather that allows us to survive the 110F+ heat of the summer :)

On to the pictures.

PERALTA TRAIL - SUPERSTITION MOUNTAINS - ARIZONA

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail

From Superstion Mountains - Peralta Trail


Great hike - 1400 foot vertical climb in 2.2 miles - Great weather - Great scenery - nice aerobic workout.

5 comments:

J~Mom said...

Great photos!! I have never hiked there! Did you move from north Phoenix? Glad to hear that things are going well in general!

Gotta Run said...

Sand in a trail race will be a killer. Dig deep and you will be fine!!

So glad that you were able to join the day and hike.

Thanks again for sharing the pixs!!

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Sorry to hear I won't see you at the Desert Classic, but I'm glad to hear you are feeling well. Is that 8k trail race part of the Lost Dutchman race? I've been thinking about doing that race.

Great pictures!

Deene said...

nice photos! hey, we will actually have warm weather today(72 degrees predicted) and then back to 40's in the next couple of days.

Ewen said...

You did have a perfect day. The bottom one looks a little like Mount Warning.

No frozen bits down here - that's what I keep telling myself when sweating through these 30-38C days!