Sunday, May 03, 2009

Skull Mesa

Yes, I know I said that the hike last week was probably the last good hike of the season. Well, I was wrong. I did a 19 miler up and over Skull Mesa in the Tonto National Forest today. It took nearly 9 hours and the trail was so faint in places that I was constantly back tracking and in the end, I walked (read: stumbled) down the middle of Cave Creek for nearly 6 miles when I couldn't find the trail back to my car.

It was really cool. It starts with 2.2 mile run with several creek crossing. Then a 2,200 foot climb to the top of Skull Mesa, followed by several hours of me walking around through thigh high grass looking for a trail in the rugged Arizona mountains north of Cave Creek, AZ. It concludes with a 5 mile plish-splash down Cave Creek when I just couldn't find the last section of trail I needed to get back to my car.

All and all a great day. Those of you with Facebook accounts can see the comments on each photo.

Those without Facebook can see the photos from the hike by clicking on the picture below.

Cheers

2009-05-03, Skull Mesa Hike

6 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

That's quite an adventure you created for yourself. That creek probably came in handy as it warmed up.

Gotta Run said...

Now that is what I call a HIKE!!! Way to tackled the hours and miles. Endurance is on your side for sure!

So does this mean you are back to blogging??

Phil said...

I don't think I'm back to blogging. I indicated that I'd post on my blog if I did something unusual. This hike was unusual. I had no idea just how rugged the territory was back there. Pretty incredible.

DawnB said...

well its good of you to check in ever so often Phil, hope all is well

Blaxabbath said...

Fantastic Phil.

I had no idea about this hike but it looks like a fair use of a spring day in Arizona.

Ted said...

Simply put: BREATHTAKING !!! I am in AWE. It looks like you have the whole place to yourself. It does look like a perfect place for ME to run.